Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Housing Young Chahoua Geckos

When housing a younger gecko, you really just need to find what fits you and your gecko. Some keepers say that smaller enclosures and settings work better, using small and medium sized kritter keepers,upgrading to large and xtra-large kritter keepers, and eventually upgrading to storage totes or glass tanks.

When I got Tag, he was about 3.5 months old and about 9 grams. I set him up in an xtra-large kritter keeper, as I like my animals in enclosures that are larger than needed.

I figured that I would try the larger enclosure to see if my new gecko would thrive. I had the idea that if I noticed any stress, I had plenty of smaller kritter keepers that would do.

When I first set up Tag, I used a fake, hanging plant, and a 4-cup cardboard cup holder. I haven't seen any stress over the extra space, and the gecko has been thriving well and eating his crickets and CGD.

I have recently added a piece of corkbark to help fill up space and offer more climbing areas.





When setting up a cage for a young chahoua gecko, you want to keep in mind that they do like climbing spaces. They like corkbark slabs and rounds, PVC, and even fake plants. I don't really care for the corkbark rounds because geckos like to climb and rest in them, which makes it hard to get them out for handling and photos. (I have a few corkbark rounds unused, that I'll probably end up cutting in half to use.)

You want to mist twice a day to keep the humidity up.

Other than that you're good to go. These guys are pretty simple. Set up babies and juveniles like you would adults, just on a smaller scale.

No comments:

Google