Monday, December 27, 2010

Dubia Roaches as Feeders

Dubia roaches make great feeder insects as long as they are appropriately sized for the gecko. These roaches can get rather big, so you wouldn't want to feed an adult dubia roach to a leopard gecko.

It takes only a few of these roaches to subside the hunger of a reptile when compared to crickets.

When breeding dubia roaches, I found that my geckos loved them. I did not.

I ended up feeding off my younger roach nymphs before they were old enough to reproduce. My dubia colony was great while it lasted, but I needed something that was easier for me. I ended up selling off and feeding off my entire collection.

For many, though, dubia roaches are the ultimate feeder. They are great for crested geckos, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, and most other insect eating reptiles.

They are a heavy body roach, but the nymphs are softer, which make them fine for younger reptiles.

These roaches are not available for all states. I am not sure of the full list,but I know that Florida has strict laws on dubia roaches and other species of insects. Before ordering your feeder roaches, make sure to check the state laws. Some insect sellers, will specify on their websites to which states they will not sell certain roach species.

When trying to find the best feeder insect for your reptiles, definitely consider dubia roaches. You may be pleasantly surprised as to how well your reptiles like them. Just remember that offering appropriate sizes to your reptiles is very important.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Google