Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stereotype Reptile People

So many people stereotype reptile keepers that the assumption is that those people who keep reptiles have tattoos and piercings and are essentially of a goth or emo type person.

Well, I've never thought that, but my conclusions were definitely set when I vended at the Atlanta Repticon show January 29th and 30th.

I saw loads of goths and emo kids and adults, as well as preps and moms who really don't like reptiles. I met many people who wore jeans and a tee, but I also saw those in leopard and snakeskin prints. I met not only white people, but black, Hispanic, and Asian. I saw and met many men, women, children, and older people.

There were teachers, mechanics, retired people, stay at home moms, and everything in-between.

Reptile people are diverse. There is no stereotype for a reptile person except for their love and fascination of reptiles and amphibians.

I mean, taking myself into consideration. I do have tattoos and piercings, but I'm not a goth or emo. I have a normal desk job. I write, work on craft projects, and diligently complete school work. I love my jeans with a t-shirt or my leggings with a dress. I'm the girl next door... Sort of.

And, my boyfriend who also attended the show and is getting more and more into reptiles and the overall scene... He is a country boy who likes hunting, watching college football, and is known for his Polo brand shirts. He isn't even the most animal-loving person in the world, although he does like animals.

You just can't stereotype and group reptile keepers into one group of people. we are diverse!

No comments:

Google